Thursday, November 22, 2007

India keeps shocking me every new day....

I was glancing through the pages of a newspaper the other day, when I stumbled upon a headline that read, "They erected a set worth 9 lakh rupees. And burnt it." I just couldn't stop thinking. Was this worth it? Do the TRP's of a show depend on what amount of bucks are spent over constructing one set? Moreover, what amused me even more was these people burnt 9 lakh rupes to ashes knowing that the same 9 lakh rupees could have given a new life to hundreds out there. One more thing that intrigued me was the fact that all this glitz and glamour consistently happens to be in Indian Television. I understand the need of glamour but I just dont reckon that a set worth rupees 9 lakh was needed just to add a glamour quotient what with the whopping amount that is already being spent on the costumes, jewellery and make-up of the "so-called" actors and actresses of these daily soaps.

I don't think this has ever happened with international chart buster serials(daily series) what with series like F.R.I.E.N.D.S, The OC, SEINFELD, SIMPSONS etc. are reigning for years without any larger-than-life characters. Which character do we relate the most? Tulsi of Kyunki Saas Bhi Kabhi Bahu Thi or Rachel of F.R.I.E.N.D.S? Who do we think is more a woman of today? I am not trying to advocate international stuff over desi things. I am relating both so that we take what is good without copying and realise that the need of the day are characters that we ourselves could go about understanding. People are tired of seeing people cry, That happens on a daily basis in one's real life. Reel life is expected to be a bit more simpler, understandeable and sensible not forgetting entertaining. I suggest instead of spending those 9 lakh rupees over one soon-to-be-burnt set, if you had only spent them showing us the plight of people who are being rammed down on the pavement by rash driversit wuold have been more fruitful. Or probably how about giving a way those ready-to-be-burnt 9 lakhs to those slum-dwellers??

ANU

6 comments:

Amir Manzoor said...

Hi Miss
How r u

please ensure me that u r performing charachter of Tulsi in daram "Kyu Ka Sass Bhee Khabee bahoo thee"

please i am still awating your reply

thanks

Unknown said...

well. ANU.. yupz. very verocious comment u made. well i didnt read that newspaper but wen i was leafing thru ur post i knew dat how mucn money is being wasted which can make sombudy life n can feed thousands..

Anushree Hemant Kulkarni said...

hi amir,
I am sorry but I doubt I understood anything what you said @ all. Can you be a bit clear??

Anushree Hemant Kulkarni said...

hi rahul,
thanks for responding. Well what I jotted down out here is just one article. I keep coming across such articles almost everyday. And believe me I am shocked and embarrassed whenever I read something like this.

CRD said...

yup..it stinks of arrogance and extravagance.

ive personally seen things like these a lot in our country. i remember once there was a water problem in the whole of mumbai north east.there was even loadshedding, which still continues where i live.we had to store water and use it sparingly. but here was a religious place of worship which was decorated with lights, and had A WATER FOUNTAIN. It felt like we were being mocked at

btw ive made a new orkut community for bloggers . id like to invite u to join it. its pretty interactive and is a nice way to get ur blog out for other bloggers to read

http://www.orkut.com/Community.aspx?cmm=51446226

join this new blogger community.

atleast have a look

nice post
keep writing
chris
www.crissdude.blogspot.com

Anushree Hemant Kulkarni said...

Hey thanks a tonne Chris!!

Anu's World

Welcome to My World!!!